Tunneling in Ubuntu

Werner Schram wrschram at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:40:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Nazeem نجم لدين <nazeemnss at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> Can you suggest way of getting a multicast tunnel work. The assumption is
> that there is a unicast cloud in between two mbone networks. So we need to
> forward the multicast traffic over the unicast tunnel. Application is for
> video transmission.
> -Nazeem

I think you should be able to do it with openvpn. Using the tap setup,
you can create a OSI layer 2 tunnel, which should be able to handle
ip-multicast. You then need to update the routing tables in both
networks to send multicast traffic to the tunnel in stead of the router.
If you fully thrust the connection between the two networks, you could
disable openvpn's encryption for better performance.

Werner