Partition resize

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 04:04:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 22:53, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>> And you are about 90 degrees wrong ;-)
>>
>> stage 1 of the GRUB boot loader lives in the MBR and points to the
>> address of stage 1.5 which in turn gets us to stage 2, both of which
>> live in /boot, which is either in the root filesystem, or in a
>> separate boot partition if you're smart ;-)
>>
>> Same goes for LILO if you're old enough to remember that one.  Half in
>> the MBR and half wherever /boot resides.
>>
>> Regardless of the OS, at least some portion of the boot loader has to
>> reside in the MBR and point to the rest of the boot loader in order to
>> actually get your system up and running.
>>

> Indeed, but you managed to completely miss the point that none of these
> grub or lilo bits and pieces reside in the Windows Partition.

Nah... I didn't miss it, it just wasn't germane to my comments.  You
took care of pointing out that it doesn't sit in the Windows
anything... I was just being pedantic about the fact that not ALL of
GRUB or LILO sits in /boot.

> PS. and it seems grub2 is an altogether more sophisticated beast as
> well, which embeds the rough equivalent of stage 1.5 in some space after
> the mbr on dos partition table HD's, or a special grub partition (not
> the /boot partition, but a partition just for Grub) in GUID hard drives.
>  wee, fun.

Hrmmm, that sounds interesting.  I wonder why that is.  This is from
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2.en.html

> GRUB 2 is derived from PUPA which was a research project to investigate the next generation of GRUB. GRUB 2 has been
> rewritten from scratch to clean up everything for modularity and portability. A mailing list and a wiki have been setup for
> discussing the development of GRUB 2.
>
> GRUB 2 targets at the following goals:
>
>    * Scripting support, such as conditionals, loops, variables and functions.
>    * Graphical interface.
>    * Dynamic loading of modules in order to extend itself at the run time rather than at the build time.
>    * Portability for various architectures.
>    * Internationalization. This includes support for non-ASCII character code, message catalogs like gettext, fonts, graphics
>      console, and so on.
>    * Real memory management, to make GNU GRUB more extensible.
>    * Modular, hierarchical, object-oriented framework for file systems, files, devices, drives, terminals, commands, partition tables
>      and OS loaders.
>    * Cross-platform installation which allows for installing GRUB from a different architecture.
>    * Rescue mode saves unbootable cases. Stage 1.5 was eliminated.
>    * Fix design mistakes in GRUB Legacy, which could not be solved for backward-compatibility, such as the way of numbering
>      partitions.

That's all I've really read into GRUB2, but it sounds interesting.  I
wonder if this is an attempt to get a boot environment similar to what
EFI does, or to get grub to be usable as a shell within EFI in the
future.

Anyway, thanks for bringing that up... it looks interesting at least,
or worth a poke at to see what all can be done with it.

Cheers
Jeff

--

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -