OP Remarks (was Re: 32 or 64??)

Raquel raquel at thericehouse.net
Tue Feb 2 22:54:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:05:20 -0800
Raquel <raquel at thericehouse.net> wrote:

> I just bought a new HP notebook with 4GB of memory and wondering if
> I should install the 32 or 64 bit version of Ubuntu?  I do work, on
> occasion, in Windows using VirtualBox.
>
> --
> Raquel

I though I would tell what I chose to do, and what I've found so far.

I began "personal computing" in 1981 with a TRS-80 Model III.  It had
16k of RAM and a cassette deck for program and data storage.  I've
had many computers since, trying to keep up but not be on the
bleeding edge.  That's where I found myself again, on the curve but
definitely on the bleeding edge.

I chose, once again, to try "keeping up".  I'm way past wanting to
"tinker" and struggle with making everything work.  Instead I'd like
things to just work, and chose to install the 64-bit version of
Ubuntu 9.10. I decided that if it worked then it was a good place for
me to be.  If it didn't I'd go back to nothing and install the 32-bit
version.

To this point, everything I use seems to be working and I'm continuing
to move data over to the new machine.  Flash is working.  I don't know
if it's 32 or 64-bit.  64-bit VirtualBox installed and seems to be
working well.  At this point in my life I'm becoming more of a
regular user.  I don't know if the 64-bit is faster or uses more
memory.  To be honest I don't really care.

Many thanks to everyone who gave honest opinions on which version you
thought was better for me.  To the rest who are involved in a big
argument over nothing ... what a waste.

--
Raquel
Agape is disinterested love.  Agape does not begin by discriminating

  --Martin Luther King, Jr.