OT: was: Re: 32 or 64??

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 2 21:29:22 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 02/02/2010 21:13, Odd wrote:
> Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
>> Hi!

>>> Not true. Here are some non-Celerons
>>> that do not support VT-x:
>>>
>>> Core Duo: T2050  / T2250  / T2300E  / T2450
>>> Core Duo 2: E4300  / E4400  / E4500  / E4600  / E4700
>>> Core 2 Quad: Q8200  / Q8200S
>>>
>>> As I've said repeatedly, you can all get your facts straight
>>> by going to this page:
>>>
>>> http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx
>>>
>> You're right. But they are desktop processors.
>>
> They sure are. What's your point? You never mentioned that
> "all Intel processors" shouldn't include desktop processors,
> so I fail to see the relevance.

Cool down. I'm not trying to agress you.

Just pointing out a strategy here.

Virtualization makes more sense on servers than on desktops. There are
certainly cases justifying virtualisation on the desktop (developers in
particular, use this to test cross-complied code). But no need to have
that on every desktop processor. So you were right (I am repeating
myself here, in case you didn't notice first time) and I was wrong in
saying "all Intel processors". Just so that you don't quote me on that
"all Intel processors" since I agree with you, not ALL.

Gilles.