Partition resize

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 2 17:36:03 UTC 2010

Alfredo De Luca wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Scenario
> Dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> I'd like to resize Ubuntu partition in order to take all disk (of course Win
> 7 included) without reinstall Ubuntu.
>
> Does anybody know if and how to do that?

Relatively easy. As a caveat, always backup your data before making
changes to partitions, as bad things can happen at inconvenient times.

I believe it's possible to grow a mounted ext3/4 filesystem.  I've never
really done this however, so don't know how good an idea that would be.
  therefore, for the sake of not experimenting, I would suggest you boot
from the Ubuntu install CD.  Once on the destop, you can use the
graphical disk management utility (disk tool in karmic?) to delete the
the windows partition, apply changes, then resize the Linux partition so
it takes up the space that is now vacated.  That should be all that is
required.