Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop CD booted system could not mount internal harddisks attached to a RAID motherboard

Lawrence Tsang tkwinfo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:11:49 UTC 2010

Hi Tom and All,

     Thanks for the update.

     I expect the command "dmraid -an" in a root terminal would do the job
of de-activating the detected BIOS RAID set while keeping the metadata of
the BIOS RAID set. (At this mean time I don't want to remove the settings
(metadata) in the RAID BIOS, I may remove it later.)

     I am now in the testing period of Ubuntu 9.10. I do not prepare to
install Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop into my internal harddisk yet. I just want to
boot my system using the 9.10 CD and use the booted system to access all my
internal and removable disks. So I expect to perform some commands in the
booted system in order to de-activate the remaining RAID set and recover
access to my internal disk partitions.

      Thanks for Tom pointing out that RAID set de-activation may not
destroy data in the relating harddisks. I want to make sure that the
concrete command "dmraid -an" would not cause me trouble by making any data
loss.

     Does anyone have the experience of using such dmraid command that is
doing what I expect it to do here ?

     Moreover, suppose "dmraid -an" does the right job, how could I recover
access to sda1, sda2 and sdb1 ? I could not afford a reboot as I am using a
CD to boot which always returns my system to the same initial conditions.

     Glad to have your helpful suggestion.

Regards
Lawrence