OpenVPN bridged network

Ian Coetzee ubuntu at iancoetzee.za.net
Tue Feb 2 06:06:03 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 17:59, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

>> Hi Johny
>>
>> I have successfully created a few openvpn tunnels so far.
>>
>> A few questions:
>> - What have you do so far?
>> - What are you planning on using (routed/bridged)?
>>

> Hey Ian, would it help if I described my goal?
> I have a server ready to setup and the ability to open ports. I want
> to set up a vpn server on that machine so my friends can all connect
> to the vpn and see eachother as if they were local. There would be
> about 10-15 people. The main purpose is gaming, and chat, encrypted of
> course.
> I've got the software installed, not configured in the least though.

Ok if I read this correctly, then it looks like you are looking at a
bridged OSI layer 2 tunnel. All the tunnels I have built so far is OSI
layer 3 tunnels. If you want I can quickly start up 2 VBoxes to go
through with you in creating a l2 tunnel.

Also I came across this howto

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/76-ethernet-bridging.html

try and see if that works for you.

Regards