File sharing setup

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 17:25:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30 December 2010 16:28, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I am now ready to tackle the file sharing problem.  I was given links on
>> Samba file sharing to examine and RTFM (nobody put it that way) does seem a
>> good answer.  When I am done reading it I might have some informed
>> questions.  So I am not done yet and fortunately I don't have any deadlines
>> so I am taking my time.
>
> When I have used it there has been nothing much to setup as far as I
> remember.  Install smbfs, share out the folder and off you go.
>
> Colin

@ Bill:

Although the default configuration should suffice, sometimes Samba is
not friendly at all. On these occasions a little bit of knowledge will
not hurt.

You can always rely on:

The incredibly long whole F manual:
       http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

If you ever decide to fiddle with the parameters - smb.conf details:
       http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

Since, in a Linux environment, sshfs can mount a remote folder for you
easy and quickly, take a couple of minutes to read its man page or
google it. It is a simple and powerful resource. But as you are dual
booting (dual boot is a bore, try VirtualBox or VMware if one of your
PCs has a nice processor and more than, say, 2 GB.) Samba is the way
to go. Remember that you do not have to install Samba a server in
every workstation. Depending on where your files reside, "one way
sharing" (client/server) could be enough.

Good luck.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.