Subject: File sharing setup

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Thu Dec 30 16:33:56 UTC 2010

On 12/30/2010 10:09 AM, Boggess Rod wrote:
>> As you recall, I had a ping problem and that has been completely
>> resolved and my computers now respond to pings when either their ip
>> number or host-names are given.  I also have been able to set up my
>> router properly so that each computer has its own static ip number.
> The
>> ip number - host-names of all my computers has how been put into their
>> /etc/hosts file.
>>
>> I still have not properly configured my computers to share files with
>> samba.  I will use samba because I dual boot these computers and
>> sometimes use windows.  I need help in configuring samba.  Thank you
> for
>> the help I have gotten so far in resolving the ping problem.
>
> Nice howto here on changing DHCP assigned IP to fixed IP within Linux:
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubuntu-linux-convert-dhcp-network-co
> nfiguration-to-static-ip-configuration.html
>
> Sooner or later, though, you'll want to understand how to setup DHCP and
> specify the router as your DNS server for the machines. Unless, of
> course you intend to turn DHCP off on the router and run an Ubuntu
> Server. In that case, you'll have more control running the DHCP/local
> DNS on the Ubuntu Server.
>
> If you need help doing the same on Windows, just let me know.

The router, ip number, host-name and ping now seem to be working
properly.  I need to read some links on Samba file sharing.  Since I
dual boot all my machines, setting up Windows to use the Samba network
will be helpful.  Right now I will concentrate on the Linux-Samba file
sharing and tackle Windows later.