File sharing setup

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Thu Dec 30 16:28:53 UTC 2010

On 12/30/2010 05:00 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 December 2010 04:06, Bill Stanley<bstanle at wowway.com>  wrote:
>> Well, I'm back!  I started a tread called "Network problems" and for
>> some reason, that thread died before I was done.
>>
>> As you recall, I had a ping problem and that has been completely
>> resolved and my computers now respond to pings when either their ip
>> number or host-names are given.  I also have been able to set up my
>> router properly so that each computer has its own static ip number.  The
>> ip number - host-names of all my computers has how been put into their
>> /etc/hosts file.
>>
>> I still have not properly configured my computers to share files with
>> samba.  I will use samba because I dual boot these computers and
>> sometimes use windows.  I need help in configuring samba.  Thank you for
>> the help I have gotten so far in resolving the ping problem.
>
> I don't think I ever saw a reply to my suggestion that you need to
> install smbfs (on the machine serving the files) if you have not
> already done so.

I haven't forgot that but I needed to resolve the ping problem and
reconfigure my router.  The manual for the router was very poorly
written and they used a lot of non-standard terms.  It took a lot of
time to figure out what they were saying.  I have now resolved the ping
( I had to reinstall Ubuntu ) and router problems.  The router is now
set to serve DHCP but the ip numbers it serves are specific to a certain
MAC number.

I am now ready to tackle the file sharing problem.  I was given links on
Samba file sharing to examine and RTFM (nobody put it that way) does
seem a good answer.  When I am done reading it I might have some
informed questions.  So I am not done yet and fortunately I don't have
any deadlines so I am taking my time.