network-manager (network connections)

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 18:05:58 UTC 2010

<snip>

-
>Unless you uninstall Network Manager, resolv.conf will be set by it at
>every boot, so no use to edit it manually.
>
>Perhaps you could opt for static IP on /etc/network/interfaces so that
>it looks more or less like the following:
>
>(change the fake addresses to your actual ones)
>
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
>adress 192.168.etc.etc
>gateway 192.168.etc.1
>netmask 255.255.255.0
>broadcast 192.168.etc.255
>
>Or use wicd instead of NM. Or even use your own DNS with bind9. Both
>from repositories.
>
>L.
>
>--
>L M Nicolosi, Eng.
>Ubuntu AMD64
>GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
>
>--

Thank you very much. I had actually tried setting interfaces, but had a typo so it didn't work. I removed NM and now it works fine.
Just for future reference. If I need to change gateway etc for some reason Do I just need to run ifconfig eth0 dwon and ifconfig eth0 up to make the change to the file? active
               Thanks
                 Linda