odd ssh error message

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Dec 29 14:44:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 01:50:15PM -0600, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 12/28/2010 1:43 PM, stan wrote:
> > I am trying to set up ssh access to a Hirschman network switch. I have
> > created the key file, and tftp'd it to the switch. Thier instructions call
> > for an RSA1 key, so that is what I used. Now when I try to ssh to the
> > switch, I get the following error message:
> >
> > Selected cipher type<unknown>  not supported by server.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> Tis not the key that is having problems, looks like you are having
> problems with possibly AES > 3DES type of configuration.  Time to edit
> that file everybody forgets about /etc/ssh/ssh_config (notice the
> missing d, this is your actual client configuration file, not the
> servers configuration file) you'll see the ciphers config already
> pre-appended, sometimes it's not commented out, you can comment it out
> and let the server select the cipher.  If that still doesn't work, you
> can contact them to see which ciphers they enforce and then enforce that
> for your specific server with the cipher config.

Thanks, looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Playing around with the command line I was able to get connected using -c
des. Here is what is in /etc/ssh/ssh_config

#   Cipher 3des
#   Ciphers
aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc

I see that they are commented out. Normally this documents the hard coded
defaults:

Looks like I need to change thsi to look like:

Ciphers aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,des

right?