Interesting read about the future of Ubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:13:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 10:13 -0500, Boggess Rod wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/12/22/unity_ubuntu_the_future/
> >>
> >> Killing off X11?? :) Ric
> >>
> >I was just beginning to really like Ubuntu.  This paradigm shift is
> >worrisome.
> >
> >Maybe Mint will taste better, or maybe I'll just stick with Maverick
> >until it goes EOL and I can look around again then....
> >
> >Anyone for CentOS 6?  :-)
> >

> Similar concerns. Is your concern more over Wayland replacing X11 or the
> dropping of GNOME? I see great promise for Wayland as an equivalent and
> compatible X11 replacement that's much overdue. GNOME is more troubling,
> but it appears to be of the GNOME developers own making. I've been
> thinking about switching to Kubuntu just to avoid the whole mess.

After doing a bit of research on the web, it seems that wayland could be
a very good thing. My only concern is for the tons of legacy apps that
connect to X11 in their own unique fashions, that may not survive the
do-over. I'm sure there will be many a hue and cry before it's over. I
just PRAY that it isn't released too early in it's development to the
General Public. That would be a horror-show. Ric

Linux user# 44256