Fix for Gobi broadband problem??

Jeff Bankston ubuntu at bciassociates.net
Mon Dec 27 13:07:38 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:

> On 12/22/2010 06:45 PM, ubuntu at bciassociates.net wrote:
>> I recently bought a Dell Precision M4500 64-bit, promptly wiped off
>> Windows 7 and proceeded to install Ubuntu Maverick 64-bit. All has
>> went great until I tried to use this new Gobi chipset broadband built
>> into the laptop. It is discovered in the bootup sequence, but isn't
>> usable at all.
>>
>> So, I went back to Win 7 to make sure it works, and it worked
>> perfectly.
>>
>> Also, I spent alot of time searching the newsgroups and forums and
>> heard about all of the problems with Gobi in Ubuntu, and was
>> wondering if anyone has heard if a fix is anywhere on the horizon???
>>
>> None of the workarounds I found work.
>
> And which ones did you try? It's helpful to detail what you did try so
> that others don't waste time asking you to try, only to find out later
> that you already did & it didn't work.
>
> Perhaps:
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=ubuntu+%2BGobi+2.0+mobi
> le&btnG=Search>
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/554099?comments=al
> l>
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/gobi-loader
> $ sudo apt-get install gobi-loader
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gobi-loader/+bugs>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gobi-loader/+bug/647471>
> \
>  \
>   <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/modemmanager/+bug/686418>
> will be of use?

Greetings, been out for a few days.

There was one that said to get the .msi file from the Windows install
that has the firmware, and try loading it, this didn't work.

Next, there was one that said to create a uif.conf file for the
interfaces file, this didn't work either.

I removed the gobi_loader and reloaded it after refreshing the apt-get
repository in case the repository was pointing to the wrong place,
gobi_loader was the same version after that reloading.

In the /var/log/messages file, I noticed that the chipset was being
installed as /dev/ttyUSB0 successfully, but was never showing up in the
Network Manager, even though in Network Manager I could create the
correct profile for the broadband but wasn't able to tell the profile to
look for /dev/ttyUSB0 device.

I've also been up to LaunchPad and across Google as well, this seems to
be a very widespread bug, hopefully it gets fixed soon. If not, I'll
have no choice but to switch back to Windows XP for the time being, I
heavily depend on this mode of connectivity in my work.

-Jeff