Network problems

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 06:18:16 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 02:05 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> It is interesting that you mention that!  Using computer two (the one
> that doesn't respond to a ping) I can get a response to a ping from
> computer one when I use the ip number (By the way, I am aware of the
> fact that its ip number, 192.168.1.100, is an internal ip number only).
>   Now when I tried pinging using its host-name I got an external
> computer.  Where this computer is I do not know but from its ip number
> is external to my home network.  I could have to come up with unique
> host-names but I don't want to complicate matters more than they now are.
>
> I also booted computer two to Windowx XP.  I can ping both ways when
> booted to Windows but I am still unable to establish a network
> connection.  This proves that the ping problem is not hardware related.
>   Maybe I can't ping using the host-name is because I am not running
> host-name server software?  I doubt it and for security reasons, I would
> prefer that my computer host-names not be known outside of my home
> network.  (That is why I refer to them as computers one and two.)
>
> I think I might have to try the ancient computer... It can dual boot
> Windows 2000 or Suse Linux.  As for the Lan board, I do not have one of
> those.  I might mention that I can run WireShark (a network snoop) but
> am not experienced enough with it to make too much sense of the output.
>   I can make sense of some of the output however.  If anyone out there
> knows how to use it properly in this context, I would appreciate any
> advice on its use.  I think that it might prove useful particularly if
> the third (ancient) computer is running it to look at the communication
> attempts between computers one and two.

Your DNS server is routing your traffic to an external domain when you
ping this hostname. Perhaps you should change its name.

You should update the /etc/hosts files, IP and hostname, on each
computer in your LAN. In Windows, look for the file "hosts".

I believe that unless you can fix this ping problem, any attempt to
configure file sharing may turn out to be futile, (however...)

Have you tried to ssh across these workstations? You will need to "sudo
aptitude install ssh" on each one and check if the port number 22 on the
receiving end is open (or the firewall is off), and then run, for
instance, "ssh 192.168.1.100" from the terminal. If successful, it will
mean that whatever the ping problem origin is, communication is feasible
(but I would be very surprised if it works).

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/