updatedb doesn't update

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 21:28:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 08:57 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> I'll boot an 8.04 machine later this morning & check, but should be the
>> same. On that machine I can also purge mlocate & reinstall to test to
>> see if the mlocate.db is generated properly.
>>
>> However, also see:
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bugs
>> Maybe related?:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bug/281471
>
> Peng,
>
> Just checked on 8.04 & mlocate.db is present on that version (8.04) as
> well - same location as lucid. Perhaps you can:
>
> $ sudo apt-get purge mlocate
> $ sudo apt-get install mlocate
>
> to see if that corrects your problem.

I followed the above instructions. Today, I try to run updatedb
manually. But it finish within a few seconds. Considering that there
are a lot files, it should take longer than that. Also, I can't locate
some files that I want, although it seems that I can locate system
files.

$ locate mlocate.db
/usr/share/man/man5/mlocate.db.5.gz
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db.AXNHHm
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db.UUSMYc

I suspect that my updatedb is still mis-configured. Is it the case
that updatedb doesn't search for certain directories where the files
that I'm interest in are on?

--
Regards,
Peng