Bah, humbug! ;-] Was: Re: [OT] Happy Holidays

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 18:53:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:07, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Er, not really. Light has no rest mass, yet gravity affects it. Though
>> I contend that it wasn't until Einstein that we knew that.
>
> The quantum theory was well after his time, true, but still only
> advances and continues his work, does not disprove it on the
> macroscopic scale.

I would say the opposite: Newtons laws of physics are simplifications
that fit the timescales of human interaction for objects a few tens of
orders of magnitude within human mass. They certainly do _not_ hold
true on the subatomic scale, and it is tenuous if they hold true on
the galactic scale.

>> I don't think that Newton really did think that gravity is a force
>> that affects only objects with mass, though. He was heavily into the
>> what we would call "black majic" and that is what led him to believe
>> that one object could affect another without touching it. Considering
>> that "black magic" was the impetus for the discovery of gravity, and
>> that his particular form of "black magic" considered objects other
>> than tangible objects as physical objects, it stands to reason that it
>> was not the mass that Newton was concerned with as causing the
>> gravity.
>
> Dotan, that's plainly wrong as his math for the Second Law of Motion
> clearly shows that momentum is the product of rest /mass/ and
> velocity:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion#Newton.27s_second_law

Hmm, you are right. It is clear right from here that mass is the cause.

> ...and, although he did believe in occult agencies, he didn't attribute
> gravity to any such thing.
> From:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton#Mechanics_and_gravitation :
> "Newton's postulate of an invisible force able to act over vast
> distances led to him being criticised for introducing "occult agencies"
> into science.[44] Later, in the second edition of the Principia (1713),
> Newton firmly rejected such criticisms in a concluding General
> Scholium, writing that it was enough that the phenomena implied a
> gravitational attraction, as they did; but they did not so far indicate
> its cause, and it was both unnecessary and improper to frame hypotheses
> of things that were not implied by the phenomena."

As your quote points out, Newton did  "introduce occult agencies into
science" only to redact them under pressure. That quite suggests that
his belief was in the occult phenomenon.

Or, I could word it as an Elf had once mentioned to a Hobbit: any
technology that we don't understand get attributed to magic. So maybe
for Newton, it _was_ magic. But then we came to understand it. Well,
more of it, until we find a nice GUT that includes gravity, it might
as well still be magic.

In any case, all this conjecture has gone off course (though it was
fun, I like intellectual discussion, especially when I'm on the
defensive!). If we continue, let's do it on sounder, please CC me if
you post a reply there. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il