Bah, humbug! ;-] Was: Re: [OT] Happy Holidays

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 08:15:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 01:44, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Newton is a unit of force, not mass!
>>
> But his seminal work involves forces existing between and affecting
> masses, the alternate meaning of which [1] may come to involve the
> entire world in the future.

Er, not really. Light has no rest mass, yet gravity affects it. Though
I contend that it wasn't until Einstein that we knew that.

I don't think that Newton really did think that gravity is a force
that affects only objects with mass, though. He was heavily into the
what we would call "black majic" and that is what led him to believe
that one object could affect another without touching it. Considering
that "black magic" was the impetus for the discovery of gravity, and
that his particular form of "black magic" considered objects other
than tangible objects as physical objects, it stands to reason that it
was not the mass that Newton was concerned with as causing the
gravity.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il