OT Re: 2 Ethernet cabling question

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 23:13:13 UTC 2010

Hello Mathias -

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM, S Mathias <smathias1972 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Two questions that was not always clear for me [sorry for posting to this list :\]:
> Q1) when cabling, is the color order important? like:
>
> straight cabling:
> A side: white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, brown
> B side: white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, brown
>
> could be eg.: like this??
> A side: white-orange, brown, white-blue, green, white-green, blue, white-brown, orange
> B side: white-orange, brown, white-blue, green, white-green, blue, white-brown, orange

Yes, the color order can be important.

Ethernet cable is a set of twisted pairs, and the pairs are twisted
with different pitches (twists per inch) to reduce crosstalk.

So you not only want a given signal to travel and return through a
pair, it's possible (I don't know this for sure) that it is preferable to
have specific signals mapped to specific pairs in order to best
manage small differences in crosstalk between various pairs.

> Q2) again cabling.. i know what is the color order of straight and crossover cabling. BUT: what are the color orders, when i need to create physically two separated networks?

(On this, I probably don't know, and I'm not sure I follow what you are asking.

> Thank you for any pointings, links, or specific answers.
>
> Happy Christmas!

Good luck!

K. Frank