Interesting read about the future of Ubuntu

Sat Dec 25 17:57:33 UTC 2010

Billie Walsh wrote:
> How many messages a month do we see on the lists complaining that
> something is now in a different place. Or, how it's done has changed.
> The "I can't find *************. It used to be at *******" sort of
> message.

Probably many. But I thought that's long been a defining attribute of
Ubuntu - the frequent change and keeping it 'up to date'.
I've more recently found myself tending back towards Debian more and
more because I just don't get along with such fast-paced and
unnecessary[0] change as we get in Ubuntu.

And there are many many problems that people have with X - it doesn't
play particularly well with a lot of the more modern things that Ubuntu
wants to do, like compositing for example, and perhaps switching to
something that does the job better isn't such a bad idea?

--
Avi

[0] Unnecessary in that it doesn't fix a broken thing, but probably
does improve something.