Network problems

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 08:45:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:

[snips]

> Thanks for the reply...
>
> I'm not certain if I am running two firewalls.  I assume I am because I
> know I installed the gufw firewall on the computer that doesn't respond
> to a ping.   I assume that Unbuntu installs a firewall by default.  If
> so what is its name because I don't see any evidence of it.  This is the
> first firewall I assume I have.  If there isn't one, then I have gufw only.
>
>  The strange thing is that I use the unaffected computer to do a port
> scan (using the system/administration/network tools) and can get some
> output back from the affected computer.
>
> The output of the port scan (from the unaffected computer) is...
>
> PORT  STATE  SERVICE
> 111   open   sunprc
> 2049  open   nfs
> 40837 open   unknown
> 45314 open   unknown
> 50038 open   unknown
>
> When I do a port scan from the affected computer (of its port status i
> get...
>
> Port   State   service
> 111    open    sunprc
> 2049   open    nfs
> 40837  open    unknown
> 45314  open    unknown
> 50038  open    unknown
> 52826  open    unknown
>
> I am somewhat concerned about the open ports with an unknown service.
> Is there any way to get more information about those services?
> Although Linux has much fewer viruses than Windoze, I don't have any
> illusions that they exist.  Although I am very careful about security,
> maybe one escaped my notice.  (I hope not.)
>
> I notice that the unaffected computer can see the nfs service running on
> the affected computer.  If I can see the nfs service running, what must
> be done to share files using the nfs service.

Bill,

Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
if no rules are set it "doesn't work".  Gufw is just a graphic
interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. I don't
have Gufw installed right now and I can't remember if it can disable
ping requests, (anyway, yours is probably unconfigured) like some DSL
routers can do.

Perhaps you could install ssh on both computers and check if a an ssh
connection is possible.

Some resident programs like f.i. Ubuntu One and Skype, open ports like
those you observed, and I guess this is pretty standard, no serious
security concerns needed.

I guess that, in linux, most viri and malware need your close
involvement and specific permission to get installed. But it is just
my guess.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.