Drawing circuit diagrams

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 22 22:45:50 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 02:37 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:03:19AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/21/2010 07:28 AM, Chris G wrote:
>> > I want to put some simple circuit diagrams on web pages (or at least
>> > accessible from web pages) so I'm looking for a drawing program that is
>> > either easy to add circuit symbols to or has them already.
>> >
>> > I was going to use dia but whenever I try to actually use it I don't
>> > find it's as easy as it should be, I've Google'd a bit and found
>> > xcircuit which is quite a nice program but the mouse/keyboard usage is
>> > so non-standard it would take me ages to get used to it.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any alternative suggestions or ideas?
>> >

>> Not sure what you find difficult about Dia - it's pretty much drag &
>> drop. You can get documentation here:
>> http://live.gnome.org/Dia
>>   http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Documentation
>> and additional shapes here:
>> http://dia-installer.de/shapes.html
>> You can look at any of the additional shapes by clicking on the "more"
>> link next to the shape info.
>>
>> hint: download:
>> diashapes_0.2.2-1_i386.deb
>> or
>> diashapes_0.2.2-1_amd64.deb
>> from the links here:
>> http://dia-installer.de/diashapes/index.html.en
>> install & then: Applications|Graphics|Diashapes
>> that will add the additional shapes for you.
>>
> I've installed all the additional shapes but the range of things
> available in dia still isn't particularly good. In particular there are
> virtually no integrated circuit shapes.  I also can find no way to make
> the line default to having no arrow on the end.
>
> So dia's OK but it feels as if there should be something better.

You can create your own IC's & the line default (for the drawing) is at
the bottom of the shapes - just click the arrow and change it. I haven't
yet looked at the start up files to change the default on startup.

But if you want IC's, install geda. You'll find a ton of IC's there.

$ sudo apt-get install geda

http://www.gpleda.org/index.html

geda is a bit cumbersome (IMO) compared to Dia - no easy drag & drop
etc. You can also print your geda schematic as a .ps file & then if you
want to easily modify from a "drawing" program, open with Inkscape. In
Inkscape ungroup the objects (the IC for instance) and you and easily
edit the text, move parts of the object etc. From there you can save as
a png etc., to put on your webpage(s). Inkscape has it's own
frustrations if you are not familiar with it, but once you get used to
it you'll probably like it.

You'll just need to experiment with each, find what works best for you.