About programing, a general question

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Dec 17 22:48:00 UTC 2010

On 17/12/10 15:47, Parshwa Murdia wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com
> <mailto:clanlaw at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     FORTRAN was the father, between them they gave birth to most of the
>     rest, with the best ones taking after their mother.
>
>     Colin
>

> http://www.osdata.com/programming/historylanguages.html
>

> --
> Regards,
> Parshwa Murdia

Parsha,
Thanks for the link. It brought back a lot of memories!
I found however one omission.
In 1968 (or a year earlier) DEC (Digital Equipment Society) the producer
of the 12- and 18 (and 36-) bit computers (resp. PDP-8, PDP-9 and
PDP-10) delivered with their products (at least the PDP-8) a BASIC-like
program called FOCAL (FOrmula CALculation) that was more advanced than
BASIC as it had many of the concepts of FORTRAN but was - as was BASIC -
an interpreted language which, in those days, took a much longer time to
run than compiled programs.
Of course most programs were written in FORTRAN (which was standard in
those days) and FOCAL was only for play and for small quick and dirty
programs.
I wonder of others from the "oldies" on this list has reminiscences of
that language.
Joep