[OT] wanting to play with full suite of Java EE under ubuntu

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Dec 17 09:14:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 03:44 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   if there are any good online pointers to get me started, that would
> > be great.  in the meantime, i'm just going to start poking around that
> > book and see what ubuntu packages correspond to the different
> > technologies, then try to set up and run simple examples of
> > everything.  thanks.
>
> If you want to really get a java workout, check out Open Wonderland.
> It's a 3D environment, complete with telephony, avatars and every
> other java toolkit laden feature. Shoot, it's way past me and the
> email list is plagued with top-posting. But, I have it running and
> the people doing the devel stuff stay on the list at all times. It's
> fun and 100% nothing but java. Me, I just watch all of the rolling
> commentary on the code development. http://www.openwonderland.org

  looks interesting, i'll check it out.  i just want to make sure it
doesn't hide all the details from me.  i guess what i'm after for the
time being is a tutorial on "how to set up a java EE development
environment from scratch on ubuntu" sort of writeup.  a lot of it is
fairly self-evident but not all of it.

  as a trivial example, the book i mentioned earlier is set up to demo
all of its tutorials using glassfish.  but when one searches for
ubuntu glassfish packages, one sees:

$ apt-cache search glassfish
glassfish-activation - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
glassfish-appserv - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
glassfish-javaee - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
glassfish-jmac-api - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
glassfish-mail - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
glassfish-toplink-essentials - Open source Java EE 5 Application Server
libgeronimo-activation-1.1-spec-java - Java Activation Framework implementation from Apache Geronimo
$

  in other words, if you knew *nothing* about glassfish (which i
don't), you wouldn't be sure which package(s) to install.  it's just
little things like that that can be massively frustrating.  anyway,
i'll puzzle it all out eventually.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca