Lost session

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:45:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> It was. Sorry for the abbreviation. It got started with Mandriva
> abbreviated to MD, which could cause even more confusion, :-) but was
> always interpreted correctly on their lists.

I figured, but just thought I'd ask to be thorough....

> On the original loss, it did go back to the 'reboot-style' login
> screen, and I did log in as user A, but nothing was there after the
> login - just like a completely new login. [BUT - there WAS a very
> brief text msg before the login screen appeared. This msg might have
> given some info re why this switch failed. This text msg has not been
> there for any of the subsequent successful switch tests.]

I suspect that your settings are not the same as mine - you have the
"show list of users" box checked in your Login Screen Settings, right?
 I don't, so they look pretty much alike to me.

> Are you saying you have gotten the original reboot-type screen during
> a switch?

See above.

> It certainly looked that way. At that point, how can I tell if the
> stuff is still there but somehow hidden?

I was wondering if somehow you had just gotten a different workspace
that was empty and so it would look as if you lost everything (that
might still have been in another workspace).  Not so likely, it seems.

> That is a possibility. It's one of those things one just 'does'
> without paying special attention to the exact event. But, the dropdown
> box is fairly clear, with some spacing between 'switch' and logout.
> [But the mind/hand can always play tricks... :-) ]

Just something for which to watch out.

> My best guess is that something happened during the switch, and the
> brief text msg gave some useful/explanatory info about what it was. Is
> there ANY way to try to get to that msg after doing updates, reboots,
> multiple switches, etc?

Not that I know - those flaming transitory messages are really
annoying when you can't see them long enough to read....

> Thanks much for the reply,

Sorry I couldn't be more help.