Has the Code Of Conduct changed? ...again?

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 13 21:48:56 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 01:52 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> After the lengthy discussion some time back about to whom the CoC
> refers, I had thought that the Code was adjusted to reflect that
> users were also to be considered to be community members and subject to
> the CoC.

The CoC has not yet changed. It is still the same as of 2005 [1]

> I just today reviewed said code
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct>
> and noticed this:
>
> ----------
> "We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when
> dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside the
> Ubuntu project and with users of Ubuntu."
> ----------
>
> Doesn't that once more indicate that users are /NOT/ members since the,
> "members," are expected to be, "...respectful when dealing with...
> users..."

I do not know how to answer this question, and am forwarding the
email in hope of getting a better position.

Personally, though, I am not sure how we can require an user (with
no other contact with Ubuntu except by being an *user* of the
distro) to be a member -- bound by the CoC -- of the Ubuntu
community. Note that CoC compliance *is* required is you subscribe
to one of our mailing lists, or open a bug, etc.

> Some reworking of the Code obviously still needs to be done.
> I really think the thing needs to be looked at by someone who has a
> good command of the language and the meanings of words.

I am not sure why you think the authors of the last revision did not
have command of the language.

> Maybe Canonical has an attorney in its employ who could do the dirty
> deed.

Canonical certainly has attorneys. BUT -- Canonical does not own, or
command, the Ubuntu community.

> Once again I'd just like to say that I have no problem adhering to the
> Code, I would just like for it to be unambiguous.

Cheers,

[1] https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct