Tracking the polling software

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Mon Dec 13 16:41:19 UTC 2010

On Monday 13 December 2010 06:36:57 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> Tony Pursell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 08:47 +0100, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > > So how could I find out "who" is polling "something" every two
> > > seconds?
>
> Try the command
>
> udisks --dump|grep poll
>
> and check if there is a 1 at the end of any column.

Yep, I got five "1"

> If there is, use
> "udisks --dump" (without grep) to see which device it is. I suppose you
> can also change the behaviour if you want but I didn't try it myself.

/dev/sr0
/dev/sr1
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdd

However,  udisks --inhibit-polling /dev/sr0 seems to let you stop polling on
only one disk. I managed to stop all polling by starting five terminals. I'm
a little worried at starting udisks --inhibit-all-polling as I am not sure
what and why is being polled, but assuming only the five disks found before
would be affected, I could try that.

Thierry