Very slow NTFS wrie preformance

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:49:29 UTC 2010

On 13 December 2010 15:17, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 03:44:15PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 12 December 2010 14:57, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
>> > I have a machiine that I need to write Giagbyte size files from to a USB
>> > drive. The USB drive is forated as NTFS, and the result needs to be
>> > readable by Windows machies, so I think I am stuck with this design.
>> >
>> > The writes start of with anticpated times that re reasonable, but rapidlly
>> > the estimated time climbs to many hours.
>>
>> Have you tried another USB stick?
>>
> Yes, and USB hard drives also. Are you saying you are able to copy gigabit
> sized files onto NTFS, with aceptable perfromance?

I have not used NTFS with USB, but I have known individual USB sticks
go slow, hence the question.
Have you tried different usb ports?  Sometimes the ones on the front
are different speed to ones on back (if you have both that is).
I am able to dd a 4GB image onto a stick in 10 or 15 mins so you might
like to try dd with an iso image of some sort.  If that also goes slow
then it is not NTFS that is the problem.

I believe there are win drivers for ext3 available, whether they work
on USB I do not know.

Colin