Can't shutdown

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 12 08:15:18 UTC 2010

On 12 December 2010 03:29, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and seem to be stuck in an endless loop where I
> can't shutdown the computer.  I click on the shutdown symbol in the top
> tray and select shutdown from the drop down menu.  I get the shutdown
> confirmation dialog and select OK and the screen blanks.  Then a dialog
> appears asking if I want to log in as my username or other.  I then end
> up back on the desktop.
>
> How can I correct this so I don't have to simply use the power switch?

Don't know why the problem might be occurring but once you get back to
the login page there should be a power off button at the bottom of the
screen, which may then allow you to power down.

Have a look in the logs (System > Administration > Log File viewer)
immediately after the problem occurs and see if you can see anything.

Experiment with google search keywords to see if you can find anything
and try searching in launchpad
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=

Colin