how safe is it to start running the alpha of 11.04?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Dec 11 05:05:39 UTC 2010

On 10-12-10 07:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    trust me, i understand the stock, politically correct answer
> regarding the reliability of alpha releases.  unofficially, i'm
> curious as to the historical stability of ubuntu alpha releases.  i
> remember constantly running pre-release versions of fedora and, while
> i hit the occasional and completely predictable annoyance, i never
> lost the system completely, so it wasn't an issue and i lived with
> those minor glitches.  i'm just curious as to how well ubuntu fares in
> this regard.

Disclaimer: I like Ubuntu.. I'm a fan, really,, but still this needs to
be said.

Your talking about the distro that was bricking expensive hardware
(certain SSD's). for months.. on a *released* version, with no emergency
fix even when the offending package was identified..... So, again, as a
fan, I personally wouldn't expect an Alpha release to not explode in my
face (literally).

Ubuntu is far more aggressive at including experimental software in a
release.. Heck, I think Ubuntu usually includes cutting edge Fedora
innovations before they would even thing of putting it in Beta themselves.