Linux Expert The Manual

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:56:36 UTC 2010

On 10/12/10 09:37, Francesco Principe wrote:
> Simply because we want to obtain a different results from those you
> mentioned and because we have behind a very large community of users
> already active.
> www.linuxexpertproject.com is a very ambitious and very articulate project.

Hmm. I've seen it now and I just joined the Linkedin group. Yet I'm
still perplexed. Here are a few points:

- *What* is the different result you want to obtain?

- The CC-BY-NC-ND licence makes it impossible to share stuff with other
wikis to build upon. CC-BY-NC-SA would be a much better option; CC-BY-SA
would also allow to freely exchange with Wikimedia projects, which would
be a definite plus.

- It's especially weird from a copyright point of view to have a "no
derivatives" licence on a wiki: technically every new revision of an
article is a derivative of the preceding revision, and therefore
violates copyright.

- A collaborative wiki on an URL with a personal name doesn't sound
good, since it would look like, to a first glance, that all content in
the wiki is yours, and not of collaborators (imagine if Wikipedia was
hosted at www.jimmywales.com) . Taking time to register another domain
would help.

- On a minor note, English is a quite shaky here and there :) (it's
"History of Linux", not "Story of Linux", for example -I'm Italian as
well so I understand the error)

cheers,
m.

--