Floppies and Maverick

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:16:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:33 AM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:

> For anybody who needs to retrieve files from 3.5 inch floppies, I would
> suggest they try installing an LS-120 (otherwise known as superdisk)
> drive. They connect into an IDE interface, of which the new motherboard
> still has just one. The BIOS on this Asus board still knows about LS-120
> drives.

Seems like a fair amount of trouble when there are USB floppy drives
available.  I'd be surprised if there weren't a USB superdrive, too.

> There's a couple of drives listed on ebay right now. I wouldn't bother
> with the disks though - I never found them to be very reliable.

I have some pretty ancient floppy disks that have endured quite well
over the years in terms of storage and retrieval of archival
information.

OTOH, I also took my 200+ mini-floppy collection and transferred all
the contents to an archive on my hard disk years ago and haven't ever
looked back. I'm not even sure my built-in floppy drive works any more
- that's how much I need/use it.