popup messages - lucid

Yieo Pompernickle v-repl at online.no
Thu Dec 9 12:57:23 UTC 2010

* Nick Edwards (2010-12-08 13:32):

>    Hi, when the notification system pops up new message, like for new
>    mail, or download complete, or
>     for  MSN/Twitter etc, mousing over it , it disappears, mouse off it,
>    it re-appears, how the hell are we supposed to "click" on the URL for
>    instance when that happens? like the old way on earlier Ubuntu.

Agreed. Until the developers come up with a configuration utility for
the notification system, I will rather disable the whole thing.

Copy paste from here:
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/26/disable-notifications-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope/

You can turn off these notify-osd notifications by typing this single
command in your terminal:

sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service.disabled

Restart your computer. They're gone. Forever!

I do this on every fresh install. :)

--
Yieo Pompernickle
yieo at online.no