acl on ext4

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 17:37:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mark Widdicombe
> <mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > is acl supported on ext4 filesystem ?
> >
> > /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,acl)
> >
> > when i do sudo setfacl -R -d -m g:group:rwx /usr/local/test, I get
> Operation
> > not supported.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> >
> I think that means the operation is not supported.
>
> In other word, No.

I've been happily using acls on my ext4 filesystems for some time. thus:
It ain't necessarily so (as Sporting Life would sing):

Perhaps you don't have permissions to /usr/local or /usr/local/test
Perhaps /usr/local/test is not a directory (-d -R would seem to require
this)
Perhaps /usr/local is not ext4, or not mounted with acl enabled.

Suggestion: try something simpler first, like this
cd <some directory on an ext4 filesystem.  Your home directory, if
possible.>
df .
rm -f foo
touch foo
setfacl -m u:bin:rx foo
getfacl foo

Make sure that the output from df reflects an ext4 partition with acl
enabled.
If that works, try more complicated things one at a time.  Setfacl can be a
bit of a bear to get right.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD