updates on production machines

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 11:51:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been following the forums for a little while and there seem to be quite a
few 'show-stoppers' that arise when folks update their machines (remaining in
the same release). I think I've been blasé about applying updates nightly.
Reading the issues raised, I'm (perhaps appropriately) anxious about applying
any updates on production machines I've got here. I've probably got the wrong
end of the stick.

Are these issues pretty rare? How do people protect against issues caused by
updating packages?

* Full back up / restore (in which case I'd modify my behaviour to only apply
updates when I could protect the time required to perform a full restore)

* Some sort of dry run or easy way to roll back?

Thoughts appreciated.

 --
Matt