firefox broken

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 11:34:03 UTC 2010

Colin Law wrote:
> I am losing track of what is going on here with the various machines
> and where the error is occurring.  Can you summarise the state of play
> in terms of what works where.  Also I am now not sure what you mean by
> running it remotely.  Could you clarify this also.

Hi Colin,

I have a desktop machine that I sit in front of and normally use its
keyboard and screen.

I have another machine running Ubuntu 10.04. When I want to run
applications on that machine, I ssh into it and execute the application.

That's what I mean by running it remotely.

There is one specific combination that causes grief, which is running
firefox on the ubuntu machine using my own userid/profile and displaying
 on my desktop machine.

All other combinations appear to work normally, including running
locally on the ubuntu machine, locally on my desktop, remotely from a
third machine, as another user etc. My desktop and the third machine run
opensuse.

The ubuntu machine used to work properly in the specific combination
that now causes grief. Hence my desire to unwind the most recent update.

Cheers, Dave