Best supported motherboard

Basil Kurian basilkurian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 23:42:45 UTC 2010

Hi

Today I got my PC equipped with AMD Phenom X6 and ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
motherboard. I used the Powersupply bundled with the ATX cabin. It is a
250Watt one. Should I purchase a high end Power Supply Unit ?

Will the usage of bundled PSU damage the hardware components ?

PS : My PC don't have any additional GPU s attached to the motherboard.

2010/11/27 Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub at gmx.at>

> Hi Basil,
>
> I remember how difficult it was to get some information about the
> motherboard before purchase, so I did some further testing for you on my
> ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 motherboard.
>
> Am 2010-11-27 01:17, schrieb Franz Waldmüller:
> > Hi Basil,
> >
> > Am 2010-11-26 22:48, schrieb Basil Kurian:
> >> Hi Franz
> >>
> >> Please see below comment in this page
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/2959
> >>
> [snip]
> >> Also  a sleep issue is mentioned . what about it ?
> I installed ubuntu 10.10 64bit and tested the sleep modes.
> USB3 still disabled in the bios.
> Suspend to RAM and Suspend to DISK both work.
> With the open source radeon drivers. I didn't test the proprietary flgrx
> drivers.
> I am not sure if the suspend modes will still work when usb3 is enabled
> in the bios.
> Franz
>
> > I just did some testing for you:
> > (I never used the sleep modes)
>

> > Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk don't work with ubuntu 10.04 when usb
> > 3.0 is enabled in the Bios (I am using the 64bit version of
> ubuntu-10.04.1)
> > I had to disable the usb 3.0 controller then suspend to disk worked
> > (with the open source radeon driver)
> > check out this thread:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10092819
> >
> > installed the proprietary flgrx-driver (from the ubuntu repositories).
> > suspend to RAM does *not work*
> > suspend to DISK *does work*
> >
> > according to this german hardware compatibility list this asus board is
> > supported out of the box in ubuntu 10.10.
> > http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hardwaredatenbank/Mainboards#Asus
> >
> > This board might be a little bit to new for my 10.04 installation - but
> > I don't mind.
> >
> > Actually I didn't have that many motherboard to choose from:
> > I wanted to use ECC-RAM: unless I wanted to by an expensive high end
> > Intel-CPU I had to choose from AMD.
> >
> > And ASUS is the only manufacuter who offers consumer mainboard
> > supporting ECC-memory. I chose the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because of the
> > integrated graphics and the SATA II and USB 3.0 support.
> >
> > If you want to know which memory modules I used I can check it for you
> > (I found some modules from Kingston which were just a little bit more
> > expensive than non-ECC modules).
> >
> > My suspend issues could be related to my software-RAID as well. I don't
> > know if mdadm can handle suspend to RAM.
> >
> > Franz
> >

> [snip]

Regards

Basil Kurian
http://basilkurian.tk
RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549