CPU frequency went down

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 21:12:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, A. Kromic <akromic at gmail.com> wrote:

> This might also be possible, since the fan has failed some months ago
> and I replaced it. You mean there may be some reason for the CPU to stop
> working at full speed permanently if it has been overheated? Never heard
> of that protection mechanism, but if you say it exists, then it could
> possible... How does that work then?

It used to be that when a CPU overheated it was dead.  With the advent
of scaling CPUs, that became less likely since the CPUs would scale
back their operating frequency to use less electricity and thus
generate less heat, but I suspect it is still possible that if it's
overheated long enough it will fail, possibly by not being able to
scale back up again.  It's a guess - I have no evidence for this.