Assistance installing Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Dec 7 20:31:37 UTC 2010

Donna Windom wrote:
> Thank you for your response Nils, but I don't know how to locate
> "/var/log/Xorg.0.log". I'm running Ubuntu from the CD. I typed in
> ".log" to search the drive, but the only hit I received was for
> "change.log". My video card is working when I run Ubuntu from the CD.
> Please show me how to get to the log file you mentioned in your

Sorry, I should have explained how to find it. When you run Ubuntu from
the CD, go to the "Places" menu and select the partition where you have
installed Ubuntu, it is named something like "40 GB Filesystem" . It
should open with the file manager. Double click the "var" folder and
then the "log" folder. In that folder you should find the file
"Xorg.0.log" at the bottom of the page.

However if that's how you tried to find the file and you can't find it,
I have no idea why it wasn't written or what to check next.

Nils