Login failure after latest update for: 10.04.1 LTS (64-bit; nvidia)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 7 19:12:37 UTC 2010

On 12/07/2010 05:32 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 17:00, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> After an upgrade today I get the good GUI login screen, login, screen
>> goes black, flashes a little, NVIDIA logo shows, system thinks a
>> while, then I get kicked back to the login screen.
>
> I got a little farther--changed to kdm from gdm and am able to get
> limited graphics by using the failsafe login.
>
> Still haven't found the graphics related item that changed.
>
> This is a laptop with results of "lspci | grep -i vga":
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS
> 160M] (rev a1)

According to this:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html
Quadro NVS Notebook series:
NVS 150M, NVS 130M, NVS 135M, NVS 510M, NVS 140M, NVS 320M, NVS 160M,
NVS 110M, NVS 120M
that would use the 260 driver. With limited graphics, can you check:
System|Administration|Hardware Drivers to see if there is a suggested
nvidia driver & if it is showing as active?

260 is available for Maverick:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers
but only 195 for Lucid.

Have a look through the bug section to see if you can find a related bug
(use the search box to narrow down). If not, you can either file a new
bug, or try the 260 driver to see if that fixes it - if it does file a
new bug report.

Note: only try the 260 if you can't resolve it any other way & feel
comfortable doing so & are capable of troubleshooting aferwards. I also
recommend that you download the 195 drivers as well - just to keep for
'in case'. To try the 260 driver:

Click on the  260.19.06-0ubuntu1 under "The Maverick Meerkat". That will
open the publishing details. Download:
nvidia-185-modaliases_260.19.06-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb  (4.4 KiB)
nvidia-current_260.19.06-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb  (43.8 MiB)
and install in that order.

Added note: I use the 10.10 nvidia-96 drivers on my lucid systems. I've
no cards that use the 195 or 260 drivers, so I can't help you
troubleshoot one-for-one.