Linux PDA cell phones - Linux on Android compatible cell phones? ; jor Ubuntu

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Dec 6 14:13:32 UTC 2010

On 12/6/2010 6:42 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/12/6 Mark Widdicombe<mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za>:
>> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
>> linux distro?
> How about Nokia N900 ?

Linux technically is not an operating system, it's a group of operating
systems that use the Linux kernel.  Android uses a modified Linux
kernel, which means it's more or less a fork of Linux, it's 'Linux like'
(funny saying that isn't it? since we are used to Unix Like :P) anyways,
Maemo is a direct fork and customisation of Debian, it is in-fact
classified as Linux and still holds is Debian roots (like Ubuntu) by
using the dpkg system and holding most if not all (haven't used it in a
while) of the core Debian pieces. Some people will argue Android is
'Linux'; I argue that Android is not, it's Linux like because they
heavily modify the kernel in some areas, it would be like calling Linux,
well, Unix still :S.