Missing Trash

Christopher A. Lindsey CLindsey at GarudaLLC.com
Sat Dec 4 20:10:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm relatively new user.  So, go easy on me...

I recently encountered a problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 system with regard
to the trash/file system.

I setup sbackup to do daily backups and keep 10 days of backups.  I was
running out of disk space.  So, I copied the older backups off to
another machine.  I then attempted to delete them from my system.  As my
standard user account did not have adequate permissions I ran nautilus
as administrator.  I was able to delete the files, however, when I
attempted to go into trash to completely remove them I received an error
and no files were displayed.  I did not capture the error message as I
was to quick to click to try again.  I restarted the machine and
reloaded nautilus as administrator and was able to access the trash.
However, no files are listed.  But, the space that was allocated has not
been freed.

I've searched and tried a few recommended solutions like deleting trash
within terminal to no avail.  I've gone in looking for the files with
"show hidden files" selected and have not been able to locate them.

Any suggestions?  Is there a disk cleanup tool that will search for this
type of problem?

TIA,
Chris

--
Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey at GarudaLLC.com>
Garuda, LLC