Upgrading to 10.04

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:05:13 UTC 2010

On 4 December 2010 08:09, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been away from this group for a while due to my pursuit of my
> musical compositions on guitar taking u a lot of my time, so I would lie
> to ask for a recap of possible problems or gotchas to doing an in place
> upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04.
>
> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or is
> even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
> recordings, and need this ability greatly.
>
> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in 10.04
> since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably broken, forcing
> me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that thrilled with.

If you have 10Gig free disk you could install 10.04 (or 10.10 for that
matter) on a separate partition and play with it to check it is ok
before upgrading.  In fact even 5Gig may be enough.  After you have
installed and updated it then boot back into 8.04 and do
sudo grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever is your boot drive) to put
8.04 back as the 'primary' os.

Colin