CPU frequency went down

A. Kromic akromic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 00:07:38 UTC 2010

Hello everybody.

Some time ago I got this problem, my CPU won't set its full frequency
anymore, to be more precise it works at the lowest frequency and doesn't
allow it to be changed. I've tried setting it by different means, from
several frequency-setting daemons, to command line tools, to gnome
applet and finally to directly trying to set it by writing to sysfs, but
nothing does work. Until before a few months, everything worked fine.

I have no idea where to look, what logs should I check, which system
component could be responsible for this error?

My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).

I'd really appreciate any advice to set me on the right path. Thanks

--
A.Kromic