safely Remove Drive

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Dec 2 21:00:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:30 -0800, Mark wrote:

> You may have hit on something here.
>
> My home desktop has two nvidia MCP61 USB controllers on it, one
> running the ohci_hcd driver, the other running the ehci_hcd driver.
> There are 7 working USB ports on the box (#8 doesn't work), but they
> all function the same way (double operation required).
>
> The Dell test machine has eight Intel 82801JI USB controllers, 2 using
> the ehci_hcd driver and the other 6 using the uhci_hcd driver.  Three
> are 8 USB ports on the box that all behave exactly the same way
> (single operation).
>
> I'm still not sure how much that means, but the differences in the h/w
> may be significant.
>
> (sigh)

Time for me to make a contribution perhaps.

lspci says nearly everything on this PC appears to be nvidia, including
the USB.

I've got a couple of 8GB flash drives branded Dane Elec, which need two
safely remove operations. So does a Samsung 2GB drive.

If I plug in a SanDisk 4GB compact flash card with a cheap reader/writer
that I got from 7dayshop, it again takes two operations.

If I plug in a SanDisk Ultra 15MB/s SD card with the same cheap reader,
it safely removes with one operation. ?????

My son's PC which I'm about to replace for him (I was asking about
graphics cards a couple of days ago) is a P4 with a motherboard
manufactured by Intel themselves apparently so it probably won't have
nvidia USB chips on it. Next time it's on I'll investigate with the same
devices.

Dave