Silent inexpensive graphics cards

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Thu Dec 2 00:41:44 UTC 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 19:58 +0000, Brian wrote:
>> On Wed 01 Dec 2010 at 13:56:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Sure! SecondLife, OpenSim, Open-Wonderland just for starts. Then there
>>> are the games online like WarCraft and a score more. All require
>>> accelerated graphics to handle the 3D. The web is working on a 3D
>>> standard as well, for browsers. The best games under Linux require
>>> accelerated graphics.
>>
>> Thanks for enlightening me. Games over the internet have never been one
>> of my activities so what you were alluding to didn't impact on me. I can
>> now understand what you were getting at.
>>
>>> You evidently don't task your graphic card. Ric
>>
>> I live in a 2D world, like the majority of people; nouveau and the
>> GeForce Fx 5200 handle the task well.
>
> I had a G-force FX-5200 that handled acceleration and 3D pretty well,
> with the correct nVidia driver. I gave it to a friend, who this card was
> a step up from what they had! Ric

We use the 4870 in all of our Linux boxes because they work perfectly and silently with the opensource driver they also run silent and well with FGLRX but there is a colour calibration issue with FGLRX which I have noted in a bug before.  Right now the 4870 runs for $87 because it's going out of stock quickly as they are being pushed out for the newer cards but it's not a dead card, it's able to run most anything on ultra ultra.