Migrating ubuntu ltsp on 10.04 to another 10.04 server

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 17:43:12 UTC 2010

A couple of things from an ltsp, ubuntu and ubuntu-users newbie. Please point
out the obvious as it may well not be obvious to me!

1. Where would be a good place to write up a UK primary school Ubuntu LTSP real
success story?

2. Can anyone think of any errors or potential pitfalls in my plan to migrate
Ubuntu LTSP services from one 10.04 server to another 10.04 server on
significantly different (newer) hardware?

I plan to:

* Install the ltsp server cleanly using the ltsp option on the alternate cd;

* Copy passwd, shadow, group, gshadow to new server and set permissions for
those files the same as old server;

* Tar up, scp across, untar the /home directory (and expect ownerships to be
preserved);

* Copy to new server:

* /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf,
* /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf,
* /etc/smb/smb.conf,
* /opt/ltsp directory.

(Then install apps and printers to match old server)

Comments, pre-emptive error spotting and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-- Matt