while watching flash streams cpu fan makes noise and heats too much

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:33:38 UTC 2010

On 1 December 2010 16:23, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure how do I begin or what logs should I check.
> I have observed it many many times.
> When I am watching a streaming video from internet then in some time,I
> see that the CPU fan of my laptop
> and upon touching the area near by (which can be keys above the CPU
> fan) I see extreme amount of heat emitted.
> Is this normal or I need to check some thing?

If you use top or the System Monitor I expect you will find that the
CPU is running at a high percentage.  When it works hard it generates
more heat, it gets hotter and the fan goes faster.  You may of course
have a problem with the fan or heat sink that makes it run hotter than
it should but if it has been doing this for a long time and has not
melted then it is probably ok.

Colin