Today's upgrade screwed up my places menu

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Wed Dec 1 15:49:08 UTC 2010

On 11/30/2010 10:00 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> Today's upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (Included Linux Kernel 2.6.35-23
> generic) went a little crazy on my machine.  Now, when I click on Home
> Folder, Desktop, Documents, etc. instead of a copy of Nautilus, I get
> Appearance Preferences overlaid with an error message:
>
> [item from Places menu] does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> For example: "Desktop" does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> Who needs to know about this?

I finally found  how to fix this.
1) drag an item from the Panel menu onto the desktop so that it can be
examined.
2) It is set to open  with Theme Installer
3) Change the 'open with' to file-browser

On second thought I am not sure that this was caused by the security
update or something I did inadvertently.  I don't remember messing with
anything in the Panel menu, but it wouldn't be the first time that I was
simply stupid.  While earning how NOT to use the touchpad on my laptop
while typing, I am overcome by unintended consequences.