A little confused

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 17:26:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 11:40 -0400, M W wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After a week of trial and error and searching for answers I found this
> and hope it helps. Since I am used to a Windows OS the Ubuntu set up
> is foreign to me. I downloaded Ubuntu (newest version) to try it. So
> far, I like what I see but what I do not understand is how to install
> certain things. My Symantec Antivirus and a DVD player for two. I
> tried the downloader with the antivirus and I just get an error
> message. I tried the dvd player but on the website all I get is code
> to install.
>
> I'm not a computer geek, but I'm not a novice computer user either. I
> really need some help in some basics. I have read several help pdfs
> but I still need some further assistance. I would like to get rid of
> the Windows OS completely but b/4 I do, I need to understand Ubuntu.

You just need to google on medibuntu and add them to your repositories
in your package manager. There is a step-by-step to read there. Once
you've done that, you can load up the missing bits that you need. There
are legal reasons for not including them in the base install. But, you
can still get them. There are plenty of anti-virus apps, but we just
don't get hit with the window's ones. They don't find Windows to work
on. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256